From 1923 to 1950 The WA Police Force Museum displayed items of interest which included old occurrence books, various statutes policies rules and regulations. When the museum closed those items and records were either retained in a app hazard manner, dispersed with out record or even falling into the hands of serving or retired police officers who wished to maintain a link with history.
From 1950 to 1987 numerous large objects (vehicles etc) and small items were not retained unless the heads of certain specialized divisions such as the Scientific Branch set up their own records and retention system. Storage and constant changes of location made this difficult. This continues to this date.
The Public Affairs Branch researched and published a number of papers about the formation of the WA Police from its beginnings as the Imperial Water Police and Mounted Police until 1853 when the WA Police Force was formed and properly established in legislation by the Police Act 1892 and Police Force Regulations in 1898.
Relatives of officers and people interested in police officers of the past began writing to the Commissioner requesting information. Up until the formation of the WAPHS this was performed by the Public Affairs Branch, Later Community Policing.
These requests ended up with the WAPHS on formation. This then extended to the history of police stations, police places, police squads, police modes of transport, police weapons, and significant events. All performed by volunteers, mainly serving or retired police officers with a keen interest in WA Police History.
From 1987 through to 2003 the WAPHS moved temporary locations on several occasions. Always supported by the WA Police Union of Workers (WAPU). For example the old OIC Quarters of Palmyra Police Station and eventually the entire rear section of the 1st floor of the WAPU in Murray St West Perth. Meetings were held at the WAPU Offices. Constant requests were made to the various Commissioners for assistance in finding in a permanent base to operate from. Leading up to 2003 the then Commissioner Barry Mathews, who had been the President of the New Zealand Police Historical Society became supportive.
The 1897 Highgate Hill Police Station with the 1906 Highgate Hill Police Station OIC Quarters situated at 57 Lincoln Street Highgate became available after the Traffic Education Bicycle Safety Section was wound up. Since closing as a police station in 1945 the buildings had taken on various roles and was mainly used as the Radio Communication base (VKI) until 1979.
The area occupied a large tract of land. The idea was to sell off ½ of the land and use the funds to build a modern Police Museum and Administration Block using the Police Station as a center of public interest. Sadly, the then State Treasurer did not support the project and the proceeds of the sale went mainly into general revenue. Further attempts by the WAPHS to raise funds for a similar proposal did not eventuate.
WAPHS volunteers occupied the buildings including the Water Corporation Ventilation Stack Meeting Room. There was never a real intention to run the facility as a Police Museum with all its legislative requirements that volunteers would find difficult to adhere to. In 2004 the WAPF appointed a Curator and so the transition for the care of items and artefacts was relinquished.